MD/PhD candidates take their MD training at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and their PhD training at Rutgers University or Princeton University. Typically, students do laboratory rotations during the summers prior to starting at RWJMS and between the first and second year of medical school. Students identify a faculty mentor and begin research and graduate coursework full time after the second year of medical school. Students who choose a faculty mentor in the CMP Graduate Program follow a modified list of course requirements that includes:
• Three minicourses from the Molecular Biosciences Program first year curriculum.
• Molecular Basis of Physiology (3 credits)
• One three-credit statistics course.
• One one-credit ethics course.
• One one-credit MD/PhD seminar course (MICR-6060)
• Zero credit Graduate Student Research Seminar (16:695:600), required of all students in 2nd year and above.
• MD/PhD students do NOT need to take the Physiological Basis of Disease course.
Course selection will be guided by the faculty mentor and the Graduate Program Director. Medical school course credits (up to 24) can be transferred to satisfy the 36 course credit requirement for an MD/PhD in the CMP Graduate Program. The remaining medical training resumes after a Ph.D. degree has been awarded. MD/PhD Program